Careers and Internships
Students for Zero Waste & Volunteer Coordination Intern
PLAN is seeking a student with a passion for large event organizing and the skills to coordinate a group of volunteers to help run our 4th annual Students for Zero Waste Conference. The student will be expected to outreach to, confirm, and manage a team of student volunteers for the conference. They will work closely with PLAN’s Director of Tours and Events to identify volunteer roles and leadership positions, and develop volunteer trainings. In the week leading up to the conference, the SZW17 intern will be expected to increase their weekly hours in order to facilitate the volunteer training program, in addition to completing a variety of conference related tasks.kills
Ideal candidates for this position will demonstrate the following:
- A willingness to learn new processes
- An ability to perform outreach activities and represent the organization professionally
- A flair for creative, out-of-the box thinking.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to execute projects and meet deadlines on time
- Positive attitude with a team player mentality
- Ability to communicate tasks and keep a clear head at times of high stress
- Conference organizing/volunteer management experience
- Impressive wit
- An inside look at planning and hosting a large-scale, zero waste event.
- Increased ability to develop, assign, and clearly communicate tasks to a group of volunteers.
- Develop key skills for general event organizing and execution, including maintain composure in a hectic, high stress environment
- Team management and volunteer recruitment strategies
- A deep understanding of the daily functions of a small start up non-profit
- Hours Per Week: Part-Time, 10-15 hours/week with some night-time/weekend activities, including attending and working through the entirety of the SZW17 conference (November 3-4, 2017)
- Compensation: $2,000 stipend
- Start/End Dates of Internship: August 28th – November 17th, 2017 (11 weeks, start date is flexible)
- Location: Philadelphia, PA
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can email a resume and a brief cover letter telling us about yourself and why you stand out as a candidate for this fellowship to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SZW Intern Application – Your Name” listed in the subject line. For the cover letter, please feel free to elaborate on one or many of the following topics:
- Your experience with waste reduction programs and initiatives
- Your leadership experience.
- Why you think we need to design an economy around zero-waste (and how we can do it!)
Application Deadline: August 18th, 2017 (Applications are considered immediately on a rolling basis)
For anyone considering a future intern position with PLAN, I very sincerely encourage it. If you are looking to collaborate, share with and learn from amazing individuals, do it. If you have interest in being a part of the growth of a young and rapidly changing organization, hop right on. If you intend to have your heart strings pulled on by the people, the small and big achievements of PLAN as a whole, the sunsets, and the occasional office visits by various canine friends, this is your chance. If you want to make a difference and hold responsibility for real changes, this is your place to do it. Be ready to take on a project of your very own ideas, not to be told what to do.Bekah Vineyard