Careers and Internships
About the PLAN Team:
We are a 5 year old organization with 8 staff members across 4 states. Our average age is 24 years old. We come from academic backgrounds such as Biology, Computer Science, Women and Gender Studies, Graphic Design and African American Studies. We come to our work with passions within and beyond waste, like food security research, social justice conference organizing, sustainable design thinking, and non-violent direct action, just to name a few. We are southern belles, new jersey punks, queers, nerds and a drag queen working toward the common goal of a just and sustainable world.
PLAN’s Commitment to and Expectation of New Hires:
We work to maintain a horizontal structure of leadership by developing and revising our self governance system, establishing co-directorship and holding bi-annual full staff retreats. We adhere to a Safer Space Policy and Community Agreements and work together to develop policies that push us to be better such as an Ethical Partnership Policy and a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Mandate.
In addition to the commitments and goals outlined above we are constantly working to be better teammates. In new hires we are looking for the following:
- Strong conflict management skills
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Willingness and ability to take initiative and work as part of a team as well as independently
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Ability to keep a clear head, remain flexible, and keep a positive morale among team members in times of high stress.
- A basic knowledge of the following topics, how they intersect, and an awareness of how that relates to your lived experience:
- The Zero Waste Movement
- The Linear Consumption Economy
- Climate Change
- Black feminist theory
Career Opportunities, Internships, and Board Openings
Creative Social Media Intern
PLAN is seeking a student with a knack for visual messaging and an interest in building social media campaigns with a variety of platforms. It’s a great way to earn credit through independent study, while contributing to PLAN’s work towards a world without waste. Eligible applicants include current undergraduate students or recent graduates with a strong interest in grassroots environmental action, social entrepreneurship, and student leadership for positive social change.
Roles & Responsibilities
This position would entail the following:
- Build PLAN’s presence on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Develop campaigns for streamlined social media posting
- Grow PLAN’s social media following
- Stay up to date with and share waste crisis current events
- Share stories of solutions and the student led movement
Ideal candidates for this position will demonstrate a passion for environmental issues, self directed attitude and the following:
- Ability to use or desire to learn multiple social media platforms
- Excitement for the growth of the zero waste movement
- Ability to represent the organization in a clear and professional manner
- Impressive wit
Hours Per Week: 5 hours per week
Compensation: This is an un-paid internship. We are looking for someone (or two people) who can get school credit and/or is just looking for an opportunity to contribute to the Zero Waste Movement and develop their skills in social media activism.
Start/End Dates of Internship: November 1 – May 1st (Flexible)