Open Positions at PLAN
About the PLAN Team:
We are a 9-year-old organization with full-time staff members across 5 states. We come from academic backgrounds such as Public Policy, Marketing, Sustainability, Philosophy, and more. We have passions within and beyond waste, like food security research, social justice conference organizing, design thinking strategy, sustainable fashion and non-violent direct action, just to name a few. We are southern belles, dumpster divers, queers, marching band nerds, and crafters working toward the common goal of a just and sustainable world.
PLAN’s Commitment to and Expectation of New Hires:
We work to maintain a collaborative leadership structure by developing and continuously revising our self-governance system, establishing co-directorship, and holding semi-annual full staff retreats. We adhere to a Safer Space Policy and Community Agreements and work together to develop policies that push us to be better such as an Ethical Partnership Policy and a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Mandate.
Please note that The Post Landfill Action Network (PLAN) is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, low-income persons, LGBTQIA+ people, and people with disabilities. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply to work with us!
Our Background and Vision for the Future:
PLAN was started in 2013 by recent college graduates to help other students run campus move-out projects that reduce waste and earn money. Since then, the organization has grown to national reach and a $500,000 annual budget, focusing on building and supporting student leadership in the movement toward zero waste and against the Linear Consumption Economy. The organization is currently staffed by 10 full-time team members and 1 part-time team member, with 4 major project focuses; see the links below to learn more:
- Campus Coordination and student project advising for our member network
- Zero waste consulting through our Atlas framework
- The annual Students for Zero Waste Conference in the fall
- Beyond Waste Student Summits in the spring
- Speaking events on campuses across the country year-round
As a young organization working within the growing zero-waste movement, we are constantly expanding our operations and our impact. Below are a few of our current priorities:
- Strategic planning, towards a new 5-year strategic plan, to be released in early 2022. This effort builds on our 2017-2021 plan and on ongoing assessment of our programmatic impact and future goals. We anticipate the new Co-ED will play a significant role in finalizing the development of this plan, to be released following the January 2022 Winter Staff Retreat. From onboarding through the date of the release, the Co-EDs will work together to track organizational impact and set future goals and expectations. Beyond the strategic plan release, the Co-EDs will manage tracking and reporting systems, ensuring that projects continue to advance the mission.
- Balancing a variety of levers of change for zero waste, from equipping students with change-making tools to directly advising campuses on infrastructure developments.
- Recognizing and supporting folks from historically marginalized identities who are under-supported in the zero waste movement.
- Maintaining financial stability through diversified funding streams that include mission- aligned, revenue-generating projects and long-term, stable fundraising.
Internships and Fellowships
PLANternship Applications are now closed!
Thank you to all the applicants for our summer internship program! Applications are closed and will be reviewed on the timeline below. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
- March 27 at 11:59pm EST: Application closes
- March 28-April 8: Application review
- April 11-22: Interviews
- Week of April 25: Decision-making and internship offer
The PLANternship is a recurring program, so if you missed this round of applications, stay tuned for next summer!