Most of these manuals are resources only available to our members.
If your school is a member campus, download the manuals from the member hub. If not, connect with a Campus Coordinator to find out how to make your school a part of the network!
Creative Reuse on Campus: In partnership with Goodwill, PLAN has put together fun, creative reuse solutions to even further reduce waste on campus. Here, we cover:
- Intentional procurement across campus
- Skills-sharing and strategic exchange between departments
- Forming and maintaining partnerships between campus and community
- Leveraging existing initiatives for creative reuse opportunities
Flow Don’t Throw: This is a how-to guide for making reusable alternatives to disposable tampons and pads available and accessible on your campus. This manual covers:
- Understanding the context of the menstrual equity movement
- Building a team to manage your project
- Securing support and finding funding on campus
- Distribution models for equitable access to reusable menstrual products
Manual Para Un Campus Sin Plástico: En asociación con Plastic Pollution Coalition, desarrollamos este manual para cubrir cómo sacar los plásticos de un solo uso de su campus. Ahora, traducido en español! Nosotros cubrimos:
- Consejos para la rotación de liderazgo, como trabajar con la administración y como facilitar la colaboración en todo el campus.
- Consejos para comprender el uso de plásticos desechables de un solo uso: dónde encontrarlo, por qué es importante y con quién hablar para hacer un cambio.
- Alternativas a los plásticos desechables de un solo uso, desde el concepto de reutilización hasta productos compostables.
- Creando un movimiento que se mantendrá después de graduarse
Move-Out Manual: Learn how to start a Move out program on your campus where you collect dorm furniture from students moving out and resell it to incoming students in the fall. This manual dives into:
- Building a team to lead your Move out program
- Various types of collection systems for donations
- Community partnerships for donations
- Prepping for and executing a Sale
Zero Waste Events Guide: From club events to arena sports games, here we’ve piled all the essentials to hosting successful zero waste events. Learn about:
- Marketing for a zero waste event
- “Trash Talker” volunteer training
- Day-of execution of a zero waste event
- Tracking data and communicating your results
Expanded Recycling Manual: PLAN’s Expanded Recycling manual addresses hard-to-recycle items often found on a typical college campus, what to do with them, and why it’s important to discard them responsibly. This manual covers:
- Expanded recycler facility types and certifications
- Material classifications, collection and disposal methods for e-waste, carpets, cosmetics and more
- Institutionalizing expanded recycling operations through company and other partnership opportunities
- Education and outreach for campus involvement in collection drives and responsible disposal
Food Recovery Manual: With supplementary resources from Food Recovery Network, PLAN has compiled over 60 pages of best-practices guidance for reducing food waste on your campus. We move down the food waste hierarchy to tackle food waste from every angle, including:
- Simple changes for source reduction of food waste
- Organized efforts for salvaging pre- and post-consumer food scraps for redistribution
- Secondary uses for salvaged food, including animal feed and industrial uses
- Guidance for navigating a compost system that best suits your campus community
Free and Thrift Store Manual: To foster the power of reuse and the sharing economy, PLAN guides you step-by-step through setting up a student-run reuse store on your campus. Whether it is a space to swap old stationary, or accumulate a profit for a self-sustaining program, we cover all of the essentials, including:
- Finding and securing a space for your store
- Managing donations, storage, and customer service
- Organizing and prepping donations for store-front setup
- Bookkeeping and record tracking of profits, inventory, and diversion rates
Plastic Free Campus Manual: In partnership with the Plastic Pollution Coalition, We developed this manual to cover how to kick single use plastics off of your campus. We cover:
- Organizing advice for leadership turnover, working with administration, and facilitating collaboration across campus.
- Tips for understanding the use of single-use disposable plastics: where to find it, why it’s important and who to talk to about making a change.
- Tangible alternatives to single-use disposable plastics, from the concept of reuse to compostable products.
- Guidance on taking action that will be sustained long after you graduate!
Reuse for Good Manual: This manual guides you through the process of partnering with Goodwill for your campus move out program. In this manual, we cover:
- Program development, staffing, and leadership structure
- Building a budget and finding funding
- Volunteer recruitment & management
- Collection models and how to run them
- Marketing, advertising, and reporting your results
To-Go Container Program Guide: This guide will help you start a reusable to-go container program on your campus. Big thanks to our friends at Preserve for helping us put together this resource!
Waste Audit Manual: PLAN’s Waste Audit manual will help you to identify and troubleshoot the major waste streams on your campus, from office bins to campus dumpsters. We cover all of the essentials including:
- Weight vs. Volume based assessments and methodologies
- Supplies, labor, and health and safety precautions for assessments
- Follow-up audit recommendations for reduced waste generation and efficient waste management on campus