Digital Campus Resources
Most of these manuals are resources only available to our members.
If your school is a member campus, download the manuals from the member hub. If not, connect with a Campus Coordinator to find out how to make your school a part of the network!
The Program Case Library is a directory of over 200 case studies of successful zero waste programs and initiatives on college campuses that have been compiled and maintained by former and current PLAN staff and interns. Topics range from food waste reduction initiatives and reusable to-go ware programs, to best practices for surplus property and free/thrift stores, and beyond. Case studies play a major part in our one-on-one campus advising, provide concrete examples for our Atlas reports, and contribute to the development of our other resources.
PLAN Members can access the Program Case Library on the Member Hub. If you are not a PLAN member, you can request access using the form below.
Campus Composting Manual: Written in partnership with US Composting Council, this manual covers all the steps to creating a successful composting program on campus. We cover:
- Mapping the campus-wide flow of compostable materials
- Choosing the appropriate compost infrastructure for your campus
- Designing a system that is user-friendly
- Advocating for composting beyond campus
Creative Reuse on Campus: In partnership with Goodwill, PLAN has put together fun, creative reuse solutions to even further reduce waste on campus. Here, we cover:
- Intentional procurement across campus
- Skills-sharing and strategic exchange between departments
- Forming and maintaining partnerships between campus and community
- Leveraging existing initiatives for creative reuse opportunities
Flow Don’t Throw: This is a how-to guide for making reusable alternatives to disposable tampons and pads available and accessible on your campus. This manual covers:
- Understanding the context of the menstrual equity movement
- Building a team to manage your project
- Securing support and finding funding on campus
- Distribution models for equitable access to reusable menstrual products
Manual Para Un Campus Sin Plástico: En asociación con Plastic Pollution Coalition, desarrollamos este manual para cubrir cómo sacar los plásticos de un solo uso de su campus. Ahora, traducido en español! Nosotros cubrimos:
- Consejos para la rotación de liderazgo, como trabajar con la administración y como facilitar la colaboración en todo el campus.
- Consejos para comprender el uso de plásticos desechables de un solo uso: dónde encontrarlo, por qué es importante y con quién hablar para hacer un cambio.
- Alternativas a los plásticos desechables de un solo uso, desde el concepto de reutilización hasta productos compostables.
- Creando un movimiento que se mantendrá después de graduarse
Move-Out Manual: Learn how to start a Move out program on your campus where you collect dorm furniture from students moving out and resell it to incoming students in the fall. This manual dives into:
- Building a team to lead your Move out program
- Various types of collection systems for donations
- Community partnerships for donations
- Prepping for and executing a Sale
Zero Waste Events Guide: From club events to arena sports games, here we’ve piled all the essentials to hosting successful zero waste events. Learn about:
- Marketing for a zero waste event
- “Trash Talker” volunteer training
- Day-of execution of a zero waste event
- Tracking data and communicating your results
Expanded Recycling Manual: PLAN’s Expanded Recycling manual addresses hard-to-recycle items often found on a typical college campus, what to do with them, and why it’s important to discard them responsibly. This manual covers:
- Expanded recycler facility types and certifications
- Material classifications, collection and disposal methods for e-waste, carpets, cosmetics and more
- Institutionalizing expanded recycling operations through company and other partnership opportunities
- Education and outreach for campus involvement in collection drives and responsible disposal
Food Recovery Manual: With supplementary resources from Food Recovery Network, PLAN has compiled over 60 pages of best-practices guidance for reducing food waste on your campus. We move down the food waste hierarchy to tackle food waste from every angle, including:
- Simple changes for source reduction of food waste
- Organized efforts for salvaging pre- and post-consumer food scraps for redistribution
- Secondary uses for salvaged food, including animal feed and industrial uses
- Guidance for navigating a compost system that best suits your campus community
Free and Thrift Store Manual: To foster the power of reuse and the sharing economy, PLAN guides you step-by-step through setting up a student-run reuse store on your campus. Whether it is a space to swap old stationary, or accumulate a profit for a self-sustaining program, we cover all of the essentials, including:
- Finding and securing a space for your store
- Managing donations, storage, and customer service
- Organizing and prepping donations for store-front setup
- Bookkeeping and record tracking of profits, inventory, and diversion rates
Plastic Free Campus Manual: In partnership with the Plastic Pollution Coalition, We developed this manual to cover how to kick single use plastics off of your campus. We cover:
- Organizing advice for leadership turnover, working with administration, and facilitating collaboration across campus.
- Tips for understanding the use of single-use disposable plastics: where to find it, why it’s important and who to talk to about making a change.
- Tangible alternatives to single-use disposable plastics, from the concept of reuse to compostable products.
- Guidance on taking action that will be sustained long after you graduate!
Reuse for Good Manual: This manual guides you through the process of partnering with Goodwill for your campus move out program. In this manual, we cover:
- Program development, staffing, and leadership structure
- Building a budget and finding funding
- Volunteer recruitment & management
- Collection models and how to run them
- Marketing, advertising, and reporting your results
To-Go Container Program Guide: This guide will help you start a reusable to-go container program on your campus. Big thanks to our friends at Preserve for helping us put together this resource!
Waste Audit Manual: PLAN’s Waste Audit manual will help you to identify and troubleshoot the major waste streams on your campus, from office bins to campus dumpsters. We cover all of the essentials including:
- Weight vs. Volume based assessments and methodologies
- Supplies, labor, and health and safety precautions for assessments
- Follow-up audit recommendations for reduced waste generation and efficient waste management on campus
This form is to request access to specific resources for those that do not have membership access. This includes students, professors, partners, and nonprofits.
NOTE: For campus affiliates before you fill out this form please: 1) see if you are a member, by checking the Member Page, 2) reach out to our campus network director about membership -which will grant you access to all of our resources *we never turn a campus away for lack of funding.
We will follow up with you when we receive your request about access and an optional donation. For any questions email email@example.com