CW: Police State Violence, Violence Against Black Folx
We are grieving. We are furious. We are demanding justice for George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Tony McDade, Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, Tamir Rice, Sandra Bland, Philando Castile and so many more. This list is too long. This list should not exist.
Hundreds of thousands of people have showed up all across the country, marching and protesting White Supremacy, Police Violence, and Systemic Racism. Despite the fact that this has been a long-standing, ongoing battle, many people may be coming to understand, for the first time, the traumatizing nature of the systemic, institutional Racism that has always pervaded the structures that govern and rule this country. But make no mistake: Black communities have been forced to live in consequence of an inherently anti-Black system ever since its founding.
We seek justice to hold these officers, and the government that funds and endorses them, accountable for their racist and violent actions, and ultimately to change the system completely. We are here to demand justice, say that White Supremacy will NOT be tolerated, to offer resources to those who have been working hard and showing up, and those who want to be involved but aren’t sure how.
This amazing resource (in our bio) put together by Black Lives Matter (BLM) contains links for action, safety, $donation$, accessibility, BIPOC and Black specific mental health resources, education (including draft letters to your parents), and so much more.
Find your next step and remember, all injustice is connected and we are not free until everyone is free. ESPECIALLY those who have been historically, systemically marginalized at the hands of a violent police state.
No one can do everything. But everyone MUST do something.
Below is a compilation of resources for white accomplices to educate themselves on the realities of American anti-Blackness and Systemic Racism, taken from a few other notable statements; in particular, Adhoc’s List of Ways You Can Stand In Solidarity With the Black Community. Note that this list is cumulative and represents an ongoing process of continuous learning and unlearning. Please comment or reach out if you have any other resources, links, or calls to action that you would like us to update this post with.
Resources from Black Lives Matter
Contribute to A Bail Fund
Double-check to make sure funds are still accepting donations, as some are now completely funded and diverting support and attention to other fundraisers. The Minnesota Freedom Fund is one such organization. Here are some other direct links and databases to check out, instead:
- Comprehensive List of Ways to Donate by BLM
- Emergency Release Fund for Trans folx in NYC
- National Bail Fund Network
- Comprehensive List of National Bail Funds for Protestors by Community Justice Exchange
- Reclaim the Block: Fund Our Broader Movement
- Bail Funds / Legal Help by City
- LGBTQ Freedom Fund
Donate to Other Initiatives
Thanks to Adhoc, for putting together this list.
- Black Lives Matter — Fund the Movement
- Vetted list of donations for frontline youth
- NAACP Empowerment Programs
- Justice for Regis Korchinski Paquet
- Justice for Dion Johnson
- Justice for Breona Taylor
- Campaign Zero: a campaign that calls to end police violence by implementing comprehensive research-based policy solutions
- Communities United Against Police Brutality
- Free COVID-19 testing, advocacy, & education for the Black community in Philly, PA
- Homeless Black Trans Women Fund
- IG Post featuring Black Queer & Trans organizers to support
- This YouTube video series was created to offer a way to donate to #BlackLivesMatter for folks who are not able to financially contribute at this time.
Books & Articles To Read
- Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement Chapter 8 PDF
- Climate Activists: Here’s Why Your Work Depends on Ending Police Violence by Dany Sigwalt
- Emergent Strategy by adrienne maree brown
- Beyond the Hashtag: How to Take Anti-Racist Action in Your Life
Videos To Watch
- MTV Decoded — Weekly Vlog w/ Franchesca Ramsey
- Black Feminism & the Movement for Black Lives: Barbara Smith, Reina Gossett, Charlene Carruthers
Podcasts To Subscribe To
- Hoodrat to Headwrap PODCAST by Ericka Hart and Eb Donnley
If You’re Going To Protest
- Uprising Radio Broadcast — Know when cities are having actions!
- 26 Ways to Be in the Struggle Beyond the Streets
- Know Your Protestors’ Rights by ACLU
- Know Your Rights FAQ by NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Protesting Tips: What to Bring, Do, and Avoid
- Curfew List