Welcome to Your Plastic Free Future
As the student-led zero waste movement gains momentum across the nation, the Post-Landfill Action Network is working hard to ensure that students have access to the tools and information they need to make lasting change on their campuses. To do this, we work with industry innovators, campus leaders and other non-profit activists in building best-practice resources.
In partnership with the Plastic Pollution Coalition, PLAN is excited to share with you the Plastic-Free Campus Manual. Comprised of over 60 pages worth of training, best-practices guidance, case studies and project resources, this manual is free and available for you to use as you see fit. We have been sure to include:
- General organizing advice for smooth leadership turnover, working with administration, and facilitating collaboration across campus.
- Tips for understanding the use of single-use disposable plastics. Where to find it, why it’s important and who to talk to about making a change.
- Tangible alternatives to single-use disposable plastics, from the concept of reuse to compostable products.
- Guidance on taking action that will be sustained long after you graduate!
Questions? Don’t hesitate to contact us!
How to use this manual
If you’ve already taken a peek at the Plastic-Free Campus Manual you know that it is lengthy and chock full of information. This might seem even more intimidating than your projects themselves; have no fear, the PLAN Campus Coordinators are here to help! Get in touch by using the form below.
To make the most of this resource, we suggest that you:
- Take a minute to skim before diving in.
- Use the chapter introduction and table of contents to get a sense of the contents of each section. Reading this manual cover to cover might not be the most effective method for you, so take note of the contents you want to focus on.
- Reference this manual when building a campaign plan, setting up an event, brainstorming tactics, troubleshooting campus resistance and making other big decisions.
- Share this resource with others! Dispersing information is a great way to ensure program longevity.
Take advantage of the supplemental resources. Every time you see an icon like the one above it means that we have a tool in the form of a Google doc that can help you. Get in touch with us using the form below and we will connect you with that tool.
Plastic Pollution Coalition
PPC is a powerful global alliance of individuals, organizations, businesses and policymakers working toward a world free of plastic pollution and its toxic impact on humans, animals, the ocean and the environment.
PPC empowers individuals to refuse single-use plastics, offers alternatives to plastic use, consults on legislation, provides easy-to-use resources, connects coalition members and facilitates collaborations, informs the public on the health and environmental risks of plastic through social media and their news portal – Plastic Free Times.
Join the Coalition by signing the online petition resolving to refuse single-use plastics.
Become a Member!
Access one-on-one advising, all of the benefits listed here, and manuals just like this one on the following topics:
- Move-Out Programs
- Waste Audits
- Free and Thrift Stores
- Food Recovery and Composting
- Hard-to-Recycle Materials
Contact us with the form below!